Emergency Rental Assistance
The Maricopa County Human Services Department (MCHSD) has launched a Client Portal to accept online application for rental and utility assistance.
Client Portal: https://hsdclientportal.maricopa.gov/
The Emergency Rental Assistance program is available to households regardless of citizenship or immigration status and Social Security Number, and that documentation is not needed.
MCHSD anticipates significant demand and as a result, application processing and notifications may lag. We ask that applicants are patient during this time.
For questions concerning the Emergency Rental Assistance program requirements or information regarding applications, please contact us by submitting a Contact Us Form or by calling 602-506-0589. All Contact Us Forms and voicemails will be responded to in one (1) business day.
Maricopa County households experiencing financial hardship due to the COVID-19 Pandemic may be eligible for Emergency Rental Assistance (ERA) through the Human Services Department’s Community Services Division.
For the months of April 2020 – December 2021, qualified households can receive up to fifteen (15) months of payments for each of the following:
- Rental assistance
- Utility assistance for electric, gas, water, sewer, and/or trash
Payments can be made for past due, owed, and/or future rental and utility bills.
The funds are intended for those most in need. According to federal guidelines, applications for assistance will be prioritized using the following criteria:
- Households living at or below 50% of the Area Median Income (AMI)
- Households with one or more members that have been unemployed for the past 90 days at time of application and living at or below 80% AMI
Maricopa County Human Services Department will serve eligible county residents living outside the cities of Chandler, Gilbert, Glendale, Mesa, and Phoenix.
- Chandler: AZCEND
- Gilbert: AZCEND or Save the Family
- Glendale: City of Glendale Community Action Program
- Mesa: City of Mesa
- Phoenix: City of Phoenix Human Services Department
Maricopa County will serve all other cities, towns, county islands, and unincorporated areas. Assistance is provided through Community Action Program (CAP) offices located throughout the County. To apply for ERA, follow the step-by-step instructions below.
How to Apply
To qualify for assistance, the following criteria must be met:
- Household lives in Maricopa County, but not in the cities of Chandler, Gilbert, Glendale, Mesa, and Phoenix; and
- Since March 13th 2020, a household member has qualified for Unemployment Insurance from the Arizona Department of Economic Security (DES) OR the household is experiencing financial hardship due to the COVID-19 Pandemic; and
- Household demonstrates a risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability; and
- Household is living at or below 80% of the Area Median Income (AMI).
|Household Size||50% Area Median Income||80% Area Median Income|
*Proof of citizenship or immigration status and Social Security Number are not required in the Emergency Rental Assistance program and households do not need to provide documentation for either.
However, if you are interested in other Human Services Department programs, additional documentation including Social Security cards or proof of citizenship or immigration status may be required.
Gather Required Documentation
To help establish eligibility, please collect the following documentation. You will need to submit these documents in order to receive assistance.
Required Tenant Information
One of the following:
- Documentation demonstrating financial hardship due to COVID-19
- Documentation demonstrating a household member was determined eligible for Unemployment Insurance from the Arizona Department of Economic Security (Eligibility period: March 30th, 2020 – Present)
- Photo identification of applicant
- Lease agreement
- Documentation of total household income received in the 30 days prior to and including application date
- Documentation demonstrating risk of homelessness or housing instability by collecting one of the following:
- Past due rent notice
- Past due utility bill
- Eviction notice
- Utility shut off notice
- Writ of restitution
- Judgment related to eviction
- Show less than 7 days of pre-paid utility remaining on pre-paid account
Required for utility assistance:
- Most recent utility bill for each utility seeking assistance for
- Release of Information Form
Required Landlord Forms
In order to receive Emergency Rental Assistance, your landlord must complete a Landlord Verification Form. Additionally, your landlord must either:
- Register as a Maricopa County vendor and provide their Vendor Code in the Landlord Verification Form
- Complete the W-9 Form
You will submit these forms as part of your application. To download a copy of each form, click on the links below.
Please note that additional documentation may be requested by the Human Services Department or your local CAP office as you may qualify for other services.
Apply for Assistance
To apply for ERA, you have the option to complete either an online application or submit a paper application to your local CAP office.
Option 1: To complete on online application, click on the button below. This will direct you to the Human Services Department’s Client Portal.
- Once you reach the Client Portal’s homepage, click on the “Start the Application Process” button.
- You will be directed to the Application Prescreen, which is the first step of the application process. The Application Prescreen will help residents determine if they meet basic eligibility requirements for all available rent and utility assistance.
- Residents that meet basic eligibility criteria will then be invited to create a Client Portal account and complete an online application, which includes submitting all required documentation.
Option 2: If you would like to submit an application through your local CAP office, please download the Client Paper Application by clicking on the button below. Please submit the paper application and required documentation to your local CAP office.
Please note that for the Client Paper Application:
- If you have more than two household members, you will need to complete a Household Member Form for each additional household member; and
- If you are seeking assistance with more than one utility, you will need to complete a Utility Assistance Form for each additional utility.
Application in English:
For a list of local CAP offices, including contact information, please click here. Please note, you must reside in the CAP office’s service area in order to apply.
Landlord Application on Behalf of Tenant
ERA allows a landlord to apply for rent and/or utility assistance on behalf of the tenant. The landlord must provide all required eligibility documentation for the tenant household.
On behalf of the tenant, the landlord must complete and/or provide the following documentation:
- Client paper application (see above)
- Landlord application (download by clicking on the "Landlord Application" button)
- Landlord Verification Form (see above)
- W-9 Form or county vendor registration (see above)
- All other required documentation including tenant income documents (see above)
Landlords must submit these documents in person at a local CAP office. Landlord applications will not be accepted through the Human Services Department’s Client Portal.
For a list of local CAP offices, including contact information, please click here.
Have a question regarding Emergency Rental Assistance? We’ll connect you to answers.