Adopt a Pet
Back to school Buddies
How can the dog eat your homework if you don't have one?
Until further notice, adoption fees are only $25 for all animals older than five months, and $150 for puppies and kittens five months and younger!
PLEASE NOTE: For the health and safety of your pets and ours, personal pets are NOT permitted inside the County shelter.
Adoptions are currently offered seven days a week and at our West and East Shelter. Location and hours.
We have suspended dog-to-dog introductions until further notice.
Make the most of your visit - follow these steps in advance:
- Check out our available pets online. Our population changes every few minutes, so for best results, check the website an hour before coming in to view current animal availability.
- Write down the A# for the animal(s) you want to meet. To maximize our life saving efforts and ensure animals spend as little time as possible at the shelter, we cannot hold any pets. Please review all requirements and recommendations on the pets you have selected. For instance, some dogs require that the entire family be present for a meet and greet, or no small pets in the home.
- Review our additional adoption information and options below. There are several ways to bring a shelter pet into your family and these resources will help you to find your perfect fit.
Your adoption fee includes the following:
- Spay/neuter surgery for unaltered pets.
- 4-in-1 canine vaccination (distemper, hepatitis, parvo virus, and parinfluenza)
- Bordatella canine vaccination
- Cats receive a 3-in-1 vaccination (feline distemper, rhinotracheitis, and calicivirus). Maricopa County does not require cats to be rabies vaccinated or licensed.
- Flea/tick treatment
- Rabies vaccination and County dog license/tag as part of their adoption fee. (For dogs 3 months and older)
What is the Pre-Selection program?
- The Pre-Selection program allows potential adopters the chance to reserve a dog or cat while still on a legally mandated hold.
Why are we offering this program?
- This option is a way to expedite adoptions, reduce length of stay, and better serve you. It also helps to ensure we will have life-saving space available for animals in need while maintaining a healthy number of animals within our care.
How does it work?
- Most animals who are not yet adoptable are available for pre-selection. Pre-selection must be completed in person at the shelter; no phone or email holds will be accepted. The pre-selection fees are the current adoption fees.
- You will have an opportunity to do a Meet & Greet with the pet.
- If the pet is not claimed during the stray hold, the potential adopter who has pre-selected the pet is required to return to the shelter on the due out day or surgery due out day to process the adoption. If the adopter does not return to claim their new pet, the pet is then placed back up for adoption to the public.
We have recently expanded our veteran discount adoption program to include our valued first responders!
In recognition and appreciation of U.S. veterans’ and first responders, adoption fees are waived for most adult dogs and cats in our "Pets for Heroes" Program.
How does it work?
- Adopters participating in this program are responsible for only paying the $22 license fee, while the rest of adoption fee is waived for all dogs and cats 5 months of age and older.
- Puppies, kittens, and small adult dogs are available for adoption through this program at 50 percent off their current adoption price.
What verification is needed?
Veterans and first responders wishing to participate in this program are asked to provide proof of service or employment at time of adoption, including:
- Military Service
- Employment with local fire or police department
- RN or MD
Regular Adoption Fees
Adoption fees include spay/neuter surgery, microchip, and age-appropriate vaccinations.
|Small dogs (under 30lbs)||$150|
|Puppies (under five months)||$300|
|Kittens (under five months)||$150|
|Senior pets (6 years and older)||$25|
|30+ day stay pets||$25|
|Pets with immediate needs||$25|