adopt a highway programs
The Adopt A Highway Program is designed to provide recognition to organizations, families and individuals that take pride in their area and go the extra distance to achieve clean public lands. This permitting process is intended to provide the necessary coordination between Maricopa County and you, or your organization, to achieve a safe and successful program.
|Follow the online application
below or contact
|Helpful information||Adopt A Highway
Policies & Procedures
Adopt A Highway Coordinator
Litter Hotline — 877-354-8837
Keep Arizona Beautiful
Contact Information for Adopt-a-Roadway Programs around the state
The entire process, from application to approval, takes approximately four weeks. It will be necessary to have a permanent contact person from your organization to coordinate with the Department of Transportation personnel during your two-year commitment.
All eligible sponsor applicants must comply with Arizona laws that prohibit discrimination based on race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin and other applicable laws.
Adopt A Highway Application Process:
- Fill out the Application for Road Adoption
Once the application is received, we will verify that the selected roadway segment(s) is maintained by Maricopa County and its availability for adoption. After checking the status of the roadway segment(s) we will then conduct an onsite inspection of the roadway to identify any possible safety hazards to participants.
- The application is then processed and a permit packet is mailed out to the applicant. The packet will include the following: Permit, Potential Roadway Hazard List, Special Event Waiver Form, and Information Sheet explaining the expectations of the program.
- Applicant must sign the Permit, Potential Roadway Hazard List, and have all participants fill out and sign the Special Event Waiver Form. All volunteer participants must be at least 12 years old to participate in the program. Participants between the ages of 12-17 years old must have signed parental permission as specified on the Special Event Waiver form.
- Once the Permit and Waiver Form have been filled out and signed, return them to the Adopt a Highway Coordinator.
- After receiving your forms back, the Adopt A Highway Coordinator will then finalize the forms and send the applicant copies of the finalized forms.
- Once the applicant receives the official copies they must then contact the Adopt-a-Highway Coordinator to set up the Initial Safety Briefing including the delivery of supplies (i.e. safety vests, safety glasses, trash bags, gloves, T-shirts and fold up signs). Required attendees for the safety briefing are all supervising personnel that will be involved in the project.
- Permanent roadways signs recognizing you or your organization's efforts will be fabricated and installed on each end of the adopted roadway segment(s). *Request for signs to be fabricated and installed cannot be made until the forms from the permit packet are received and safety briefing is completed.
- Once Steps 1 - 4 have been completed, your group is now ready to schedule their first clean up. *One week notice is required to arrange for collection scheduling. Reminder your group is required to pick up litter along your adopted roadway segment(s) a minimum of two (2) times a year, but MCDOT encourages and supports your group cleaning beyond this requirement.
- After you have completed a cleanup, fill out the Group Cleanup Report and return the form to the Adopt A Highway Coordinator.